About the position:
You will lead a data engineering team, working directly and collaborating with others and data teams located across London, Paris, Seattle and Gurgaon.
If you are someone with experience experience across services and data product development, have growth mentality and love solving sophisticated and meaningful problems, come join us on this exciting worldwide data journey!
The role is a phenomenal opportunity to work on a team that will streamline data products, from streaming data to consumption for our B2B brands.
You will succeed in this role by applying your software development and data engineering practices, business intelligence, analytics, and an excellent communication background. You’ll have the opportunity to take it to the next level, continue growing, not only as a technologist but also as a people leader, while doing what you are most passionate and proud.
We’re constantly looking for opportunities to improve the breadth and depth of the products we offer. From a strategic standpoint, our ambition is to unlock the power of Expedia for partners. Our mission is to fuel our partners’ growth through our unparalleled technology, travel supply and support services. We are all about travel, but also about state-of-the-art technology, AI and ML. Data is our underlying foundation, and the only way to operate at our immense scale is to develop our own technologies and use cloud capabilities on positive and exciting test and learn environment.
- Lead a robust multi-functional team of data engineers and BI developers, working across traditional and cloud-based data environments.
- You will be responsible for the technology direction and standards for the BI team, supporting and be supported by your team and peers.
- Define and communicate high engineering standards and development practices, ensuring design and architecture consistency.
- Apply the right engineering practices when managing a large amount of data in real-time and batch.
- You will craft data models for fast performance data queries, ETLs, and APIs used to power front end BI solutions.
- Promote collaboration and guide the execution of team initiatives or components of larger, cross-team projects from start to finish.
- Seek opportunities to bring sophisticated analytical techniques and solutions to the data space.
- Architect and design solutions, ensuring clear documentation, and a high level of communication.
- You promote excellence and forward-thinking engineering, using technical writing to expose your team to a broader technical population inside and outside Expedia.
- Data quality will be top-of-mind on anything you develop, ensuring observability and enforcing a ‘first-to-know’ culture.
- A leader in data and software development environments focused on data products and Business Intelligence.
- Have proven record of people management, coaching, and mentoring.
- You have demonstrated a good record of managing and exposing data at scale.
- Have hands-on coding with strong experience in key software languages (e.g., Python, Scala, Java) and one or more BI tools (e.g. Tableau, Looker)
- You have experience working and transforming event stream data in near-real- time. You know dimensional modeling concepts and other efficient data representations for optimizing SQL queries as well as how to craft data-models, normalized, and un-normalized data structures for fast query performance.
- Proven background in a variety of data technologies, such as Spark, Hive, Presto, and/or ETL frameworks.
- Deeply understand SQL and all its facets but also have experience working with cloud-based data-warehouse (e.g.Snowflake).
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and verbal and written communication skills when working with both business and technical teams.
- Shown expertise in high code quality, automated testing, and engineering principles.
- You know AWS services and architecture experience demonstrated by the use of native cloud solutions (e.g., S3, EMR, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, Redis, Lambda, and Containers).
- Strong analytical/business modeling skills with the ability to convert raw data into impactful reporting and scalable data architectures.